Morton Community Links
Check out your Accelerated Reader at home....
About the School
Built in 1928, Jefferson Elementary School is now a K-6, two-story building with a three-sided balcony overlooking a wood-floored gym and stage. Several additions over the years have made Jefferson a school with history and character. A separate computer lab, cafeteria, and gym are available for our fine instructional programs throughout the day and numerous community groups utilize our facilities many evenings. Our caring staff offers programs which meet diverse student needs, including technology integration and enrichment, special services.Special events, music programs, the Picture-Person Program, after-school programs, a shared vision, and a sense of community are all possible with our team approach and parent support. Our dedicated parent organization, PTO, meets monthly and is very involved with assisting the school with many funds and activities, such as our carnival, Laugh Olympics, and Market Day.
Our centrally located grounds are home to Morton's annual four-day Pumpkin Festival in September. The school grounds accommodate tents for food, entertainment, and merchants, carnival rides, and craft booths for the after school hours festivities. Pumpkin collections and tents offer unusual writing and math opportunities during the day for learning measurement, perimeter, adjectives, etc.
Many Morton area citizens recall additions to our school.The school started with only the eight classrooms surrounding the gym in 1928 with one room for each of the eight grades. Additions took place in 1944 and1948, and in 1950 the primary wing was added. The cafeteria was built in 1964 and replaced a bus-parking area. Our school was known as Morton Grade School until 1965 when a second elementary school, Grundy School, was opened. Our 75th anniversary celebrations during the 2003-2004 school year brought many past students and teachers and memorabilia to us. Many memories of alumni and even family members with many generations attending Jefferson were shared at anniversary activities. Yes, there is a time capsule placed in an outside wall when the building was built that is supposed to be opened after 100 years. Our collection of many, many items and photos was stored after our anniversary celebration in the school's original vault.
Mrs. Kate Wyman, Principal
Mrs. Grace Nessler, Secretary
Mrs. Teresa Oaks, Webmaster